Common Questions About Workers’ Compensation

Attorney Cameron D. Simpson has over three decades of experience working as a workers’ compensation lawyer. From Fort Walton Beach, our firm is available to assist you anywhere along the Emerald Coast. We can also answer your questions about workers’ compensation law in Florida.

Call us at 850-659-6512 or email us for a free consultation or read a few of the most common questions people ask:

Do I need to tell my boss that I was injured at work?

Yes, you do need to inform your supervisor or human resources as soon as possible. Ask your employer to fill out a “notice of injury” form. In most cases, you have only 30 days to report your work-related injury, so don’t wait.

Do be careful, however, about what you put in writing. Whether it’s a text to your boss or a status update on Facebook, you should be very careful to avoid saying anything that might make people believe you’re not as injured as you say you are.

Will I get fired if I file a workers’ compensation claim?

You can relax; you are protected by state and federal laws. Your employer is not allowed to fire you, demote you or retaliate against you in any way for pursuing a workers’ compensation claim.

When will I see my first check?

You are supposed to receive your first workers’ compensation check after you miss seven consecutive days of work. However, the insurance companies often procrastinate. Feel free to contact me to discuss your situation.

What is third-party negligence, and how does it affect my case?

Workers’ compensation covers injuries that happen on the job, but sometimes personal injury compensation comes into play, too. If you were injured by the negligence of a third party (someone other than your boss or co-workers), you may be able to pursue a personal injury lawsuit in addition to your workers’ compensation claim. This can potentially provide you with extra money.

For example, maybe you’re a delivery truck driver who was rear-ended by a drunk driver while on your delivery route, or maybe you’re a construction worker who was injured by a subcontractor from a different construction company. Let me discuss your particular situation with you and provide the guidance you need.

Can I pick my own doctor?

Typically, the workers’ compensation insurance company will choose the doctor you need to see. However, if you don’t like the authorized treating physician, you can ask to have a different doctor assigned to your case. You can only request such a change once.

You also have the right to obtain a second opinion from a different physician in the same field, and you can request an independent medical examination if needed.

What does it cost to hire an attorney?

When you meet with me, you can leave your wallet or checkbook at home. It doesn’t cost you anything upfront to retain my services. Because I handle these types of cases on a contingency fee basis, I only get paid after I obtain workers’ compensation benefits for you, and my fee is deducted from those benefits.

Practice Areas

Cameron D. SimpsonClients’ ChoiceAward 2019 10.0Cameron D. Simpson
  • State Bar of Georgia | Lawyers Serving the Public and the Justice System
  • Escambia Santa Rosa | Bar Association